Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Best Meal in Singapore

SlrRp SlrRp SlrRp...Mmmmmmmmmmm Asam Laksa!!!
I've been hunting for Asam Laksa since I came to Singapore. Though I found a few restaurants and hawker stalls selling Penang food on the Penangites in Singapore (PIS) group on Facebook for quite some time ago, but I didn't have the time to try them out.
As I didn't have the time to eat my favourite Ayer Itam Asam Laksa during my last trip back to Penang in Chinese New Year, I've been craving for it since the day I stepped my feet on Singapore. Today is a long and tired day for me because I attended a one-and-a-half-hour training and a twenty-minute meeting, and of all I didn't get enough sleep last night after a heavy Indian vegetarian meal.
This is the kind of day I will treat myself some nice food. But it's not easy to find something that really soothes my soul and stomach in Singapore. I knocked off sharp at 6pm, dragging my body back to Toa Payoh. Two weeks ago, I found the Ipoh famous Old Town White Coffee Cafe at the HDB hub in Toa Payoh. And someone from the PIS group recommended the Asam Laksa from Old Town at East Coast. So, I just couldn't wait to try it out.
When the waiter passed me the menu, I didn't even read it carefully, my eyes just went on hunting for my Asam Laksa and I ordered it straight away without second thought. Oh, I ordered an O Beng (Iced Kopi O) as well, one of my favourite drinks in Penang.
I was smiling all the time while enjoying my Laksa. I've never appreciated Laksa the way I did today. I just feel like smiling while biting the noodles and the big pieces of onions. Yum yum...I believed the waiters and waitresses were staring at me and knew it right away that I am a Penangite! Hahaha So what if I eat like I've been starving for days?! I just couldn't bother less!
I emptied the whole bowl of Laksa, I drank all the soup (简直就是碗底朝天嘛^o^). I feel as light as a feather as soon as I finish it. :D Hehe
Even though the Laksa only scored 8 out of 10, it still beats everything else in Singapore. Okay, it's now time to give a fair comment on the Laksa. I rated it 8 because the noodles wasn't soft enough and the soup was a little too thin. Also, the cucumber were sliced too thin and took away the crunchiness. And my favourite pineapple was MIA (missing in action), which disppointed me a little.
And here's some info about Asam Laksa for those who're not Penangites or haven't try it before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa
http://www.delaksa.com/penang_laksa.php
http://www.rasamalaysia.com/2008/02/recipe-penang-assam-laksa.html

3 comments:

  1. come back to pg, i buy u big bowl of laksa....haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Zeemi that's the heaven in Singapore! wahaha
    VY, i'll definitely drag you out for laksa when i come home the next trip!:P

    ReplyDelete